The next transaction in land in the county was the purchase of the Kast patent in 1724 by the family of that name, who were among the Burnetsfield patentees.
In explanation of the table the following details are of interest : The original evidence of ownership of the Burnetffield lots were certificates given the grantees in the winter and spring of 1723.
The part of this tract within Herkimer county formed a block about seven miles square, beginning just west of Frankfort village (about two-thirds lying south of. Next to Cosby 's Manor in date of granting was the tract of 1,000 acres on the north bank of the river, just east of Little Falls, purchased by Rev. One of the most important of the earliest patents was Glen's purchase, so called from Jacob Glen, the patentee.
The next tract taken up was the famous Cosby 's Manor, granted in 1734. The property passed into the hands of Lady Grace Cosby, and was the subject of a correspondence between herself, her agent, Sir William Johnson, and Oliver De Lancey, the latter of whom in the summer of 1762 bought the tract for himself and Janie.^ Jauncey, Peter Remsen and Goldsbrow Banyar, paying £6,000 currency. Ill the next year Cadwallader Golden took 3,000 acres in a strip a mile and a quarter wide running south from Van Home's patent to Otsquago Creek.
This mark (') denotes that the lands indicated are partly in Herkimer, and partly in other counties.
In 1739 three were granted to Lendert Helmer, two to Jacob Glen, three to Archibald Kennedy, three to John Schuyler, jr., three to Arent Brant, and three to Philip Schuyler.
The tract of land involved consisted of 25,076 acres, occupy- ing, in general terms, the eastern part of the town of Herkimer, the southern half of Fairfield, Little Falls north of the river, and the western part of Manheim. In 1738 five of the lots were granted to Patrick Mc Claughry and Andrew Mc Dowell, and eight to James De Lancey, John Lindsay, and Abraham Glen.
Snell and Timmerman's tract, 3,000 acres, in the southern part of Manheim, was granted in the same year.
A strip along the southeastern side of Winfield was part of a tract of 43,000 acres granted in 1755 to Daniel Schuyler and twenty-one others and called Schuyler's patent.
In 178G Isaac Vrooman bought 4,000 acres, and in 1790, 10,193 acres in a narrow strip extending across Danube and parts of Manheim and Stark.