A presentation will be prepared for the next meeting of the commission.“I think it would be worthwhile perhaps if we had an item on the agenda where we could get some type of presentation of where our state stands in terms of school security,” he said. The latest offer from GOP House Speaker John Boehner (Continue reading…) CARSON CITY – Gov.“And from the perspective of a judge who has worked hard to, and the judiciary as a whole, worked hard to promote mental health court as an (Continue reading…) CARSON CITY – Gov.Brian Sandoval today released budget data that had been sought by state lawmakers after a weeks-long disagreement over whether the information was public.Brian Sandoval today said he wants an assessment of how Nevada’s public schools are doing in regards to security following the horrific shooting deaths a week ago at a Connecticut elementary school.Sandoval made the request as chairman of the state Homeland Security Commission, which met today by teleconference.
One comment on the Carson application said in part: “The Carson City School District provides a very strong, comprehensive, and coherent plan for the revision of the district school system.” Photo courtesy of the National Archives and Records Administration via Wikimedia Commons.
Jim Gibbons as co-chair of (Continue reading…) CARSON CITY – Nevada Supreme Court Justice James Hardesty said today that the country will not have success in reducing the tragic type of shooting incident that occurred Friday in Connecticut without providing more mental health support.
Hardesty, interviewed on the Nevada News Makers television program, said “we’re going backwards” on mental health treatment needs nationally and in Nevada. “It’s high time the country does something about these matters,” he said.
The state Budget Office posted the “items for special consideration” data on its website at noon.
The items are requests made to Sandoval by state agencies for spending over and above their base-budget submissions. Included in the requests is a proposal to expand the Medicaid program to a new group of Nevada residents as provided for under the Affordable Care Act.
In short, we have been unable to secure the funds we would need to continue operating in 2013. More than two dozen Nevada newspapers and websites have been regularly publishing our stories this past year, and I regret that we will no longer be able to provide them with free, non-partisan content about Nevada government and politics.